Liane E. Allen
Contact: site owner <- all one word @laineallen.com
Experienced web professional, who is particularly skilled at helping non-technical people understand complex technical concepts.
- Ruby on Rails
- Agile methodoligies
- Technical Writing
- Contract Negotiation
- Project Management
Web Development and Design
I’m a graduate of thoughtbot’s Metis Ruby on Rails Bootcamp. In Metis, I learned to code in Ruby, using Rails 4, and jQuery, and a great deal more.
(Note: word has it herokuapp is being extra slow, so give the links extra time to load)
- CenteringHelper gem – responsively center content in a view with two lines of code:
- GenerateColumnWidths gem – automatically resize column spans in a css grid:
- Greet-Zings – a Yo-like instant-messaging service:
- Trading Tree – a Craigslist clone (but using Bourbon and Neat for CSS):
- Women on Wikipedia – a tool for screen-scraping wikipedia biographies, determining the genders of the subjects, and generating basic statistics from the results. (Waiting for UI from the designer)
- Green Planet Heroes – my passion project, a kickstarter equivalent for energy efficiency and renewables projects:
Prior to Metis, I directed software engineering, IT, and QA teams through the successful development and deployment of:
- A highly-scalable, highly-reliable e-commerce system,
- A highly-scalable, highly-reliable remote software management/licensing system,
- Corporate extra- and intranet systems.
For multiple websites, I created, co-created, and did editing using the following:
- CMS: OS Commerce/ZenCart with CivicSpace,
- Blogging platforms: WordPress, Blogger,
- Widgets: Twitter and rss feeds.
2004 – present
Web admin for greenmountaindaily.com and greenenergytimes.net, among others.
Groove Networks, Inc.
1999 – 2004
Oversaw successful public site launch: 300k+ users on first day.
Director: Commerce, Integration, and Management Infrastructure
1999 – 1999
Web Producer for Nestle USA
1995 – 1999
Wrote one of the first, ever, html-based API guides.
Senior Tech Writer, Software QA Manager
1993 – 1995
1991 – 1993
First PMA application for a medical device to receive unanimous approval on 1st attempt.
Singled-out by FDA for exemplary writing.
Senior Technical Writer, Editor
- Researched and wrote web and software privacy policies and EULAs,
- Researched FTC regulations for software subject to US export control,
- Edited and co-wrote the successful FDA Premarket Approval Application for the Cytyc ThinPrep,
- Researched EU labeling regulations for solutions containing methanol – I discovered a little known exception, saving the company tens of thousands of dollars in packaging costs.
Contract Negotiation/Legal Agreements
- Reviewed license agreements – I discovered a clause in one Microsoft agreement that would have consigned the rights to our company’s software to Microsoft, and got Microsoft to remove it,
- Negotiated contracts for software licenses, web hosting, and co-location services,
- Negotiated the rights to use Disney assets on a multi-national corporation’s web site,
- Co-wrote and edited web services “service level agreements” (SLAs).